Review: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Alex Friess, Contributing Writer

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is a great classic. It came out in December of 2005. I was not alive to watch it then but I’ve watched it many times.

It is one of my favorite movies and recently when I was having a boring Saturday I decided to watch an old classic on Netflix.

The story starts off with the children’s mother waking them up and hiding them in the cellar followed by sending them on a train away from home all because of the war. This adds emotion to the story which hooks the viewer. During most of the beginning of the story there is the loud sound of bombs falling adding more cause to the story. 

Lucy, Peter, Susan and Edmund move in with a professor. On a rainy day, they decide to play hide and seek around the house. Lucy hides in the wardrobe in the spare room and backs up until she hits a snow covered tree. That is where the story really gets going. I love this part of the movie and how it is not what I was expecting when I watched it. 

Lucy wanders through the snow covered woods until she is spooked by a faun we later find out is named Mr. Tumnus. In this part of the story we start to understand that this place is really magical because Tumnus is half man with the legs of a goat. Lucy decides to stay for tea with Tumnus and he gets her to sleep by playing her a song. This is yet again another example of the magic in Narnia. 

When Lucy awakes Mr. Tumnus tells her to flee and she does so and runs back through the wardrobe where she assumes they have been searching for hours but in reality no time has passed at all. No one believes that she is telling the truth. They say it is just her wild imagination. I think that this is a very dramatic part in the movie that leaves the viewer with many questions, such as: Is what she saw real?

Edmund walks through the wardrobe and instead of seeing Mr. Tumnus, Edmund meets the queen where he tells her that he is a son of Adam and all about his sister’s adventure with Mr. Tumnus.

Eventually after a while in the movie everyone ends up in Narnia where they discover that Mr. Tumnus has been taken by the order of the queen by the secret police.

They talk to some magic beavers who tell them all about Aslan and the prophecy that two sons of Adam and two daughters of Eve (humans) would meet Aslan and together they would stop the evil queen and her rule. 

Edmund runs off to the evil queen and is captured. No surprise there. I love this movie but Edmund is by far the stupidest boy I have ever seen.

The queen sends the secret police, a pack of talking wolves, to bring in the beavers and the children. The wolves fail due to a fox who helped the kids escape.

I think the only problem with this story is its predictability. Later they are on the run from the wolves and surprise surprise they get away. Also I think that when I think of a fox I think they are shifty and quick and sly and that that would make a better animal to work for the evil queen than wolves.

But anyways, they find Aslan who already has an army together waiting for them and eventually they find out where the queen is holding Edmund and they set out after him.

Father Christmas makes an appearance, giving Lucy, Peter and Susan each something for battle. He gives Susan a bow and arrows with a shell to call for help. Then he gives Peter a sword and tells him that he will need it soon, and lastly he gives Lucy a dagger and a potion that will heal anyone from anything. 

The queen comes for Edmund claiming that any traitor is to be executed and that she is going to do it. Aslan takes his place in an emotional scene where we see him executed and laughed at by the queen’s followers.

Surprise surprise he is actually fine and they are going to fight the Queen. I repeat, this movie has a problem with predictability. They win and are all crowned king, queen, prince and princess. 

I love this story but it can at times be very predictable. However, overall, I love this story and despite its few flaws it did come out in 2005 so what can you expect, but it is still one of my top ten favorite movies of all time.