Sharks are a “team to beat” this field hockey season

Monomoy Regional High School field hockey team pregame talk before 4-0 win over Sturgis West. Image source: Derrick Spurrier

Emily Layton, Contributing Writer

With a 7-1-1 record at the halfway point of the season, the Monomoy Regional High School field hockey team is still going strong.

On September 13, 2021, the Sharks opened their season with a 6-0 victory over Martha’s Vineyard. They’ve beaten Plymouth North, Sturgis West, Nauset, Barnstable and Dennis-Yarmouth since then. They had tough encounters with Falmouth and Sandwich, each of which ended in a tie and a loss respectively.

Teams will improve as the season progresses, but the Sharks will not be affected since they continue to work hard on and off the field.

“Monomoy has continued to prove itself as a leading field hockey program,” Head Coach Kathryn Andreoli says. “We stick to our goals and work as a team, I believe we can match up against anyone. The talent and the drive to succeed is already there on this team, and as we continue working on our cohesion, we will continue getting better each game.”

This 2021 season, Coach Andreoli has been guiding the team to victory. Andreoli recently moved to Cape Cod to work in the Monomoy Regional School District. Andreoli’s extensive field hockey and coaching experience has aided the team’s growth and development into a winning unit. “It has been a pleasure for me as a coach to come in with a team that has that drive to win and get better every game,” Andreoli claims.

Caroline DiGiovanni, a senior captain, leads the state with 19 goals scored after only nine games. Caroline’s chances of winning the League MVP for the third year in a row look very good, averaging roughly two to three goals each game. Since eighth grade, DiGiovanni has been a part of the varsity team and has been featured in the Cape Cod Times’ top athletes on Cape Cod repeatedly since then. Caroline was also honored with the Boston Globe Scholar-Athlete award last fall.

“Caroline is a great leader on and off the field. She is passionate about this sport, and that energy is infectious to the other girls on the team,” Coach Andreoli explains. 

The Nauset Warriors arrived at The Tank on September 24, 2021, hoping to defeat the Sharks. The Warriors defeated the Sharks in both of their games in the 2020 season, as well as in a pre-season scrimmage in 2021. The Sharks, however, came out on top with a 2-0 victory thanks to a strong team effort and goals from Susannah Brown and Helen DiGiovanni. On October 13, 2021, these two teams will meet again at Nauset Regional High School, and it will be a game you will not want to miss!